Saturday, October 13, 2007

October begins the first session of my class sometimes called Creative Livelihoods and sometimes called The Green Sheet (a nostalgic reference to the paper ledger forms). The six weeks will build toward making a plan for what's next for each person.

For me, the starting point is always an investigation of the value each person sees in themselves in the present tense. In identifying what you value in your work, introducing yourself becomes easier and provides an interesting opportunity for engaging in conversations where the exchange can build lasting relationships.

It's my way of preparing for a new year or a new adventure or a new project. Where am I now? What am I interested in? What do I want to do now? What do I know? What do I want to find out? How do I want to talk about what I'm doing?

Louis Kahn states the process this way:
"A great building...must begin with the unmeasurable, must go through measurable means when it is being designed and in the end must be unmeasurable."

No comments: