Friday, March 20, 2009

One thing I know how to do well

I like to fish.

Stopping in Bishop to check out the tackle
Buy Sierra Gold bait, salmon eggs, and a rapala or two
Driving up to Rock Creek Lake
Seeing the light bounce off the water and knowing that there are fish underneath
Holding the tension on the 2 pound test line, as it winds on the reel
Relearning how to tie a decent knot each year
Tying on a swivel, picking out a lure
Casting my line out
Letting it sink for just a beat and then slowly, methodically, like a small fish, or a bug, or a small frog, reeling in the line.
Feeling the quick jerk of a fish biting
Pause
And then a reaction to set the hook
Feel the pull of the fish on the hook and sensing the tension to reel it in, letting the fish play out the fight, slowly, reeling in a bit more line, until the fish has landed

1 comment:

Alan said...

Wow, I just had an out of body experience reading your post. My favorite place in the WORLD is Convict Lake just up the road... :)